I genuinely believe in the power of the written word. I hardly know how I feel about anything until I write about it. Journaling is my main way of processing events and emotions.
If I had a full month to reflect and look forward and prep for the new year, I would most definitely be using one of these journal prompts every day. However, not everyone is as journal happy as I am. Here’s my recommendation: even if you don’t ever write in journal, choose one of the following prompts that speaks to you and give yourself 20 minutes to write, type, or ponder.
I hope the following prompts will help get you in the new year’s spirit!
Journal Prompts That Celebrate The New Year
- Think about how the five elements might relate to wellness. How do you want to personally relate to each of the elements in the new year?
- How do you feel about new year’s resolutions?
- Write a letter that begins, “Dear 2017…”
- What were the highlights of 2016 for you?
- Write an encouraging letter about 2017 from your future self.
- What were your priorities in 2016? What do you want your priorities to be in 2017?
- Discuss a bad habit you’d like to break in 2017, and how you plan to proceed.
- Think about a new skill you’d like to learn in 2017.
- Decide which person (role model) you’d like to be more like in the new year.
- What will your mantra for 2017 be?
- Write in specific, elaborative detail about the best moment you experienced in 2016.
- What resolutions have been on your list every year that you’ve never accomplished? Why can’t you let them go?
- Do. Be. Have. What do you want to do in 2017? What do you want to be? What would you like to have?
- What mental and emotional state are you starting 2017 with? Where do you want to end in 2017?
- 18 Before 2018. What 18 specific goals would you like to check off in this calendar year?
- Today is the first day of the rest of your life. What do you want to remember starting in 2017?
- What are some short term goals you can accomplish in the next month?
- Where do you want to be in 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years from now?
- Choose one word that you’d like to live in and focus on during 2017.
Even though we don’t have a full month to prepare before the new year hits, I will be doing my very best to get myself ready. When you read this, I’ll be busy journaling away!
What do you think about in preparation for the new year? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
“Isn’t it mysterious to begin a new journal like this? I can run my fingers through the fresh clean pages but I cannot guess what the writing on them will be.” ― Maud Hart Lovelace